Are You Bossy? Or Nah?

Micro manager. Unpleasant. Incompetent. Dishonest. Unprofessional. Late. Demanding. Entitled.

Unfortunately, most professionals can say that they've had a boss at some point in their career that has displayed one or more of these characteristics. Often times, these people tend to be c-level, or "higher ups", or just managers in general, that likely made it to the position they're in due to taking credit for other people's work.

As cliche as it may seem, my recent experiences, both professionally and academically, have got me considering TRULY how different bosses are from leaders. From a professional perspective, I've been thinking about the bosses I've encountered:

  • They are great at delegating work. Whether they actually SHOULD delegate the work is irrelevant to them. As long as it gets done and gets done correctly, protocol, pay grade, and job descriptions don't tend to matter too much.
  • They refuse to communicate down unless it's to their benefit. Although they are supposed to be managing people, they do not do the best job of communicating downward within the organization. I was taught to communicate one level up, two levels down. Right now, I am the lowest level of down, however, I realize the importance of communicating downward in an organization because we, the peons, are the individuals performing the work. I've found that bosses, being consumed in self preservation, only really consider what needs to be said to their leadership to remain relevant.
  • They generally are not respected by their employees. Ideally, employees respect their bosses because they're supposed to. But in REAL LIFE, there's more trash talking about the bosses than there is praising. "Why?", you ask? Let me digress.
  • Bosses sometimes come off as incompetent. They've spent so much time being reliant upon their "subject matter experts" that they've not taken time to "learn the trade". They haven't had to. When it comes down to a high level briefings, or a very detailed discussion, usually there is a scramble for words, information, or even an alternate.
  • They are in charge, and you will never forget it. Don't you dare compare them to yourself and your peers. They are above you and they are there for a reason. Now. Close the door on you way out, whatever your name is. 
I could probably go on and on about the bosses that I've encountered. But considering my desired field, project management, recent experiences have forced me to decide between being a boss, a leader, or a team player. Clearly there is a difference between the three, and while eventually I do want to manage people, it's not in me to be a boss.

I've found myself lately naturally displaying several leadership and team player qualities.

  • Being proactive. Foreseeing a situation that may result in an undesirable consequence, and choosing to act on behalf of a team in order to avoid possible conflict. Without question, without having to be told, I did what was in the best interest of my team.
  • Giving credit where it's due. Telling people "good job" when it's appropriate. I may not be able to give you a pay raise, but I can certainly tell you how much I appreciate the effort you've put forth. 
  • Listening and considering input from others. As much as I enjoy independent work, I understand that outside of the technical field and hands-on trades/skills, very rarely is there "independent" work. With that, I've grown accustomed to listening to and considering other people's suggestions and recommendations, especially from an academic perspective. It's impossible to expect others to contribute if you're not willing to accept any input.
  • Planning ahead to set a path for success. Being a leader sometimes requires a little extra work. I go above an beyond to make sure that I am always available and that my teams have all of the necessary materials they need to be successful. 
  • Communication, communication, communication. You can't learn anything unless you talk to people with different experiences. It is very important to keep a consistent line of communication to learn from individual teams members, and so individual team members learn from you.
  • Asking instead of demanding. Ultimately, we are a team. It is in everyone's best interest to be polite, cooperate, and avoid telling anyone what to do. Instead, make recommendations and ask questions. Respect feedback, and never yell.
  • Being a support system. Regardless of whether it's for class, SGA, or work, my peers and co-workers understand that I am there for them. WE need to get the job done, and WE will be successful. I am willing to help and support as needed, and willing to guide and mentor when necessary.
Although the lists are short, it is clear that I was never meant to be a boss, but I will continue to strive to be a leader. There are several differences between bosses and leaders that were not previously mentioned, however, there's enough information for you to ask yourself: Are you bossy? Or nah?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Universal Values in a Globalized Society

PM Outside the Box

Trick or Treat: Rumors of Official Announcement for iPhones 5S and 5C