I've Checked the Boxes - Now What?

In my short time as a professional, I've performed a few actions that I personally consider "checking the box":

Graduated high school. Check.

Got a government internship. Check.

Got a technical undergraduate degree. Check.

Obtained a job as a software developer. Check. 

Got a job in project management. Check.

Got my CAPM. Check.

Completed a Master in Project Management. Check (Almost..two weeks left!)

Although I have already gotten my foot in the door as a Technical Project Manager, I realize that many of my classmates have not yet penetrated the field. Being among my actual peers (age-wise) has made me realize that we are all completing these "checks in boxes", but don't know what to do next. We (yes, we) often find ourselves performing these accomplishments then asking "How do I...?", "What if I...?", or just straight up "Now what?" especially when it comes to entering the project management field.

In my personal experience, the "Now what?" is based on where you want to go. I recommend that anyone wondering what to do next write out a physical plan for the next ten years. My first ten year plan was developed in May 2008, and I've, for the most part, stuck by that plan. Having something to physically guide me at forks in the road and to keep me motivated towards a goal has helped me get to the point where I am right now. The format of the plan is not important. I used a flow chart, however, there are many tools available: road maps, check lists, journals...the point is to get it down on paper so then the goal becomes tangible. The plan should include desired education and certifications, potential job titles, and should depict your planned career path WITH DATES (just the month and year is okay). Feel free to include personal goals (pay off debt, buy a house, etcetera). Please understand that it is okay if you don't have all the answers. You're writing this down to not only make your next steps tangible, but to also force yourself to think through your next critical life choices. Maybe your plan has "options" at year five rather than a specific job title. THAT IS OKAY. This plan is for you. It may change, it may not be 100% accurate, but having a plan will help you in the long run.

Next, my recommendation would be to develop your portfolio. How did I go from Software Developer, to Program Analyst, to Jr. Technical Project Manager in just five years? I was not afraid to insert project management into my day to day tasks, and put my knowledge on display. When I was interviewed for my current position, I took my neatly-bound professional portfolio with me, with the intention of giving the potential employer something to keep for their consideration, and something to drive discussion during the interview. Elements of my professional portfolio include: A cover, table of contents, cover letter, recent resume WITH PHOTO, an INTERESTING writing sample, a sample of a project management plan I developed, a project schedule I developed in MS project, and requirements documentation that I developed (all unclassified, obviously). If you do not already have a professional head shot, take one. If you do not have a professional writing sample, write one. If you have not generated a project management plan or schedule, practice! As an analyst, I looked at my work and determined which of those tasks could be considered major projects, and ran with it. I was building a custom SharePoint solution for a client, so, without being asked, I generated the formal requirements documentation, wrote a charter, HAD THE CLIENT SIGN IT AUTHORIZING ME AS THE PROJECT MANAGER, then developed the project management plan. Was that part of my job description? Hell no. But, it got me the experience I needed to use as a building block for my next step. Evaluate your current job. Separate the operational tasks from the project tasks. Treat your job like a project whenever you can, and formalize it. It is a little bit of extra work, but it's well worth getting the experience. 

I would also recommend tailoring your resume to posture yourself as a project manager. Be objective. 

You're a teacher? You're a manager. You manage a classroom. How many children do you manage? Do you have a budget? Are your resources constrained? How do you procure your supplies? Do you have to report statuses to your principal? 

You're an admin assistant? You manage an office. What are some scheduling techniques that you use? What types of reports do you have to prepare? What kinds of tools do you use to remain organized? How many meetings/calls/requests do you handle on average? Do you manage multiple schedules? How many? Do you take meeting minutes?

Project management can be applied to any field. Look at your job, and put on your manager cap. Ask yourself "how much?", "how many?", and review the PMI processes, tools and techniques to determine what is applicable to your current position.*

*If you plan to go for your Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, this will also help you fill out the application.

My final recommendation would be to find a mentor. While I've struggled with this, I've found that mentorship can come in unexpected forms. By definition, mentorship is "the guidance provided by a mentor, especially an experienced person in a company or educational institution". A mentor does not necessarily have to be someone that you meet with once a week to get guidance. Although this is ideal, mentorship can be brief. I've gotten gems, especially within the last few months from guest speaks and professors. I consider them mentors, as they are professional people that have provided me guidance based on their experience as practitioners in the field, and if I ever had a question, I wholeheartedly believe that these people would do their best to answer. That is mentorship. Mentorship is important because you won't know all the answers. You might need help with your resume. Maybe you need an experienced person in the field to critique your project plan. Regardless of the reason, mentorship is a valuable asset to obtain as a young professional. 

"Now what?" does not have to be a scary scenario. All you have to do is figure out your next steps, posture yourself to take those steps, and find professionals that your trust to bounce ideas. This is not a one size fits all process, and realistically, you might not get the first job your apply for. Again, THAT IS OKAY! My intent is not to make this process/transition seem easy, but instead to uplift and ensure that my peers have the tools that they need to get someone to give them a shot. Hopefully through exuding confidence, organizing your life plan/goals, applying your knowledge professionally, and having the right people on your side, you can answer the question "Now what?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Universal Values in a Globalized Society

PM Outside the Box

Trick or Treat: Rumors of Official Announcement for iPhones 5S and 5C