Republicans are for Entertainment, Democrats are for Debating (Except Webb)

The American people "are sick and tired about hearing about your damn emails."

Words uttered from a frustrated Dr. Bernie Sanders in the first Democratic presidential debate.

Not to undermine the fact that decisions made by Ms. Hillary Clinton regarding those "damn emails" probably weren't in her (or America's) best interest, however, I agree that the FIRST Democratic debate is neither the time nor place. Quite frankly, as a registered voter, her "damn emails" were not of interest to me as I tuned in to the democratic debate.

Between Jimmy complaining about not getting enough speaking time (despite the fact that he didn't get the least) in the midst of reminding us about the murders he's committed, and Hilary's seemingly super rehearsed, well practiced responses to the difficult questions asked of her, there were some good political discussions that occurred among the candidates.

Bypassing the scripted introductions and discussions on electability, the next "big" issue was gun control in the United States. Although I could not stand to listen to most of the talking points that Whiney Webb made, I did catch this:
"We need to keep the people who should not have guns away from them.  But we have to respect the tradition in this country of people who want to defend themselves and their family from violence."
Now, personally, I have never been a fan of guns for any reason. Not murdering, not paint balling, not hunting, none of it. However, I do understand that if for some strange reason the world agreed that all guns should be removed from society, people would just find another way to kill. I'm a firm believer in the idea that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." So regardless of if the weapon is a gun, a knife, a brick, or a pointy toothbrush, if a person is planning to (or spontaneously) commit a violent crime, they're going do such. We are not safe ANYWHERE. Not school, not church, and not the movies. Not at a grocery store, not at work, and not even in our own homes. The amount of violence just in the last few years has probably exceeded all of the mass violent crimes that I've witness in my entire life (I'm 25). While I'm not a supporter of guns, I AM a supporter of Americans being able to defend themselves from violent crimes by any means necessary. If it's me or you, you're going down, bruh.

Skipping passed foreign policy for now, another big headliner: Do Black lives matter, or do all lives matter?

As politicians usually do with this issue, they quickly breezed through it before moving on to income inequality. There was very little discussion, however, four of five candidates did get to say their piece.  It appeared that some of them knew what to say to either sustain or gain black voters, and others, not so much.

Bernie and O'Malley were the only candidates to actually blatantly say that Black lives matter. Sure, we can blame that on Andy, considering that he did word the question differently for Clinton and Webb, however, if the candidates wanted to say Black lives matter, they would've. Overall, each candidate that responded said something along the lines of the "right thing to say". The only response that did rub me the wrong way, however, was that of Weirdo Webb (formerly Whiney Webb). His response was more along the lines of "I can't be racist. I have a black friend. He's dead now, but I did have a black friend."

The following portion of the debate led to a lot of empty ideas. I say empty because although pay equality, raising minimum wage, creating jobs, and making public universities free are awesome initiatives, they're just an ideas. It's easy to say as a candidate what you will do, and what you plan to do, however, getting into office and actually doing something is different. Who is going to pay for it in real life? How? I'm sure some members of the House, Senate, and Congress are part of the one percent. Are you going to make them pay for it? How is any of this realistically going to work because I need to know.  The President of the United States is NOT the only entity that makes decisions on behalf of the United States. Bernie Sanders said it himself: "If you think that we can simply go forward and pass something tomorrow without bringing people together, you are sorely mistaken."

Based on that alone, I'm sure you can understand why it's difficult for me to believe that every single person on the stage has the ability to win the election and actually perform. It's really easy to talk the talk when it comes to issues such as minimum wage, taxes, and the cost of education, but again, it's bringing those one percenters (and if not one percent, they're pretty high on the rich scale) together to support the cause. We've seen time and time again that they way America is set up, these types of things just don't happen...not at a federal level anyway.

Although there was a plethora of issues that were touched during the debate, I personally rather not discuss without some additional research on my part. Unlike Chafee, I don't want to put something out there and I'm not 100% sure what it's about.

December 15th I look forward to the next debate. I'll be better prepared to drag with the best of them next time around.

SIDE NOTE: If you haven't used the "Moments" feature on twitter, you should. It's funny stuff. Especially during the debate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Universal Values in a Globalized Society

PM Outside the Box

Trick or Treat: Rumors of Official Announcement for iPhones 5S and 5C